Usborne Reading Programme
The Usborne Reading Programme is a collection of over 150 titles, graded in seven levels and covering a wide range of subjects, both fiction and non-fiction.
Beautifully produced, and with lively writing and fabulous illustration, the books are designed to capture the imagination and build the confidence of beginner readers, and motivate and inspire those who find reading difficult or dull.
- Click on a cover to see the titles in each level.
The books are graded in seven levels and from one level to the next, there is a gradual but clear progression in terms of subject, style, narrative length, sentence structure and vocabulary, giving children the satisfaction of mastering real books and making measurable progress.
- Download a chart of the Reading Programme Framework (PDF)
Superb quality books
Each beautifully designed hardback book has a ribbon marker and combines vivid, engaging writing with captivating full-colour illustration on every page, featuring the work of artists from around the world and superb contemporary or archive photography.
Supported by experts
The programme has been developed in consultation with Alison Kelly, a leading expert in the teaching of reading, who helped to draw up the seven-level framework. Non-fiction titles also draw on the expertise of relevant specialists.
- Video interview with reading consultant Alison Kelly.
Young Reading audio CDs contain two readings: a dramatic listen-along version with music, sound effects and superbly characterised readings, and a read-along version, with a page-turn indicator, for the child to listen to while following the story in the book.
A number of titles have recommended websites packed with historical details, dramatic reconstructions and puzzles and games. There are links to the recommended sites on the Usborne Quicklinks Website.
For children – for parents – for schools
- Children are won over by the fresh, engaging writing and illustration on perennially popular subjects.
- Parents can support their child's reading in the vital early stages, knowing the books are underpinned by Usborne values and a sound framework.
- Teachers can use the books in class, for homework and in the library to stretch the able and engage those in need of support.